ABYC announces entry level certification program
The American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC) announced an updated year-end exam for its new entry-level Marine Service Technician Certification. The revised certification designation and exam completes ABYC’s Marine Service Technology package, designed to help secondary and post-secondary schools easily implement standards-based marine service programs and further enhance student abilities to grow their careers in the marine industry.
As well as gaining a ready-to-go curriculum, schools that purchase ABYC’s Marine Service Technology package can also receive discounted textbooks and will have access to instructor guides with PowerPoint presentations, online demonstration videos, quiz samples, and take-home workbooks for students.
- Topics covered in the entry level Marine Service Technician Certification include:
- Boat handling and general shop safety and practices
- Internal combustion engine theory
- Marine electrical systems, installation and troubleshooting
- Outboard engine and gasoline inboard engine maintenance and troubleshooting
- Basic diesel maintenance
- Marine plumbing systems
- Marine materials: wood, metal, composites
The new entry-level exam is accredited by the National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI), the leading provider of industry credentials and a neutral third party, to ensure relevance and value. NOCTI will administer the exam, provide the certificates, and send a digital accomplishment badge that students can share within their networks.
To learn more about ABYC’s Marine Service Technology Program, visit www.abycinc.org/marineservice.